Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Book of the year

I like what was said about this book being launched like an Apple product. That Steve Jobs chose to die in time to add to the buzz and excitement big time. (A joke, yes, but we dont know how far Steve Jobs can go to support a product launch :-) ) 

Steve Jobs's estate should be receiving part of the royalties, and then donate it to cancer research. Or perhaps a Support Center for Employees Abused by Asshole Bosses. 

in the intro, Isaacson mentioned that Jobs had a hand on the cover design (and nothing more)

I like it how National had this in stores exactly on Oct 24, in fact, hours earlier than the US. Considering shipping times from US to here, did National order units way ahead of Steve's death? Does this explain why they dont have stocks less than a week after?

I didnt like how National Bookstore priced it at 1275 PhP. Could have bought it for 500+ less if I had  ordered from Amazon instead. Could have waited until January when a friend is scheduled to travel or at least waited for a mall sale to get the standard 20% savings (250+ din yon). But National Bestseller Galleria contacted me to say that the books are running-out fast (just two days after) and they will give the last one reserved for me (although I just inquired to email) in a few hours. And then this fact is supported by a colleague who mentioned that she picked up the last shelved copy the day before, and that one customer was begging for another one while she was paying at the counter.

And indeed when I was paying myself, there's a guy in line who asked for another copy. The cashier asked him to write down his name on a long reservation list. 

I liked the pictures. Steve Jobs truly opened up to the author, even up to family pictures.


Gusto ko na nagsusungayan sila sa picture dito na pamilya. If youre an Apple employee, can you try putting a horn in Steve Jobs's head?

I liked how paper is bookpaper white rather than brownish of grayish of most books. I would have like a deckle edge more though.
Im a convert to deckled edge since discovering that it is really ergonomic when one is reading fast and turning pages like an automaton. Isaacson's previous book (Einstein) is deckled edge.

(uno momento, i dont remember that magazine below Einstein)
I'll be able to finish the 500-page Steve Jobs book this during the coming long weekend. Sana.

No comments: