Thursday, December 3, 2009

Review: Lastolite Ezybox Softbox





Every time I get the chance, that is every time there is someone I can haggle, I purchase goods at Amazon.com then have the items delivered at a friend's hotel, for handcarry later to here, beautiful Philippines. 

Amazon sends me email inviting me to review my purchases. Spur of the moment, I write some reviews. Here is one sample for a softbox... 

The main selling point of this softbox is in the ease of assembling and dis-. It is perfect for the travelling hobbyist. This ezybox, plus a decent reflector, two external flashes (i use another 580 EXII to trigger the one attached to the ezybox), and then somebody to hold both implements, can make perfect pictures during family vacations. The pictures you can take shall be good enough to brag. 

The package includes the shoe-slot that fits 580 EX II, all the brackets needed, and then the blue lastolite case. The entire thing will easily fit in a backpack. 

Though sime might find the light from this box a bit harsh as a fill or main light on certain conditions. To resolve, you will have to make certain adjustments on the flash's power output and get the right blend of shutter speed and aperture. These cases call for many trial-and-error shots; could test the patience of you and your subject. For me though, Im finding myself using another tri-grip diffuser to diffuse the light more (very close the person's face or the product, just out of the camera view) on most instances. I've been using mine for almost a year now. If I can do the purchase over again though, will just save and wait for the 24 x 24" size (this was out of stock the time I made my purchase).

Sample pictures lit by the softbox…





Perhaps more important is to get the basic rough lighting/shadows that you want...

Then just finish it up with Photoshop...


No comments: