Tuesday, October 19, 2010

random quotes picked up

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process.
--EB White
One of the classiest, clearest writer ever.

The one who doesn't fall never stands up. It happened that people made me an idol. But everybody loses. I'm just a human being.
--Fedor Emelianenko
The humble Superman lost. He'll come back. If I can bet at Vegas, I'll be a thousand dollars he'll win on his next fight. 

I am awfully greedy; I want everything from life. I want to be a woman and to be a man, to have many friends and to have loneliness, to work much and write good books, to travel and enjoy myself, to be selfish and to be unselfish… You see, it is difficult to get all which I want. And then when I do not succeed I get mad with anger.
— Simone de Beauvoir
Im reading the biography I won from Jessicarulestheuniverse.com

Today is the beginning of a new day! Wait…hang on. Sorry, just checked. It’s the same day as yesterday.
--Stevemartintogo
short-tweet-writing genius. why did he start just now?  
(photo from michaelgrecco)

As she manuevered around me I noticed she has scars down her back from hanging on hooks and six heavy silver rings in her labia.
--Kimberly Nicole Rathkamp
Reading this sentence is like reading the title "Love in the Time of Cholera," as Steve Martin commented in one article. Seems youre happy ambling along "Love... in... the... time... of..." and then blasted shocked by the word Cholera! By puss and boils in the skin!  

Pakula died on November 19, 1998 in a freak car accident on the Long Island Expressway in Melville, New York. He was 70 years old. A driver in front of him struck a metal pipe, which went through Pakula's windshield, striking him in the head and causing him to swerve off the road and into a fence. He was killed instantly.[3]
--Wikipedia entry
I liked Presumed Innocent and Pelican Brief. His last movie with Brad Pitt is a thrash.I wish I die like this. 70 also is a good age to die.

“Since knowledge is never lost, productivity will always rise.”
I am surprised to see Alan Greenspan’s Memoir in hardbound in the bargain bins. Although that book is being attacked for its endorsement of "financial product innovations," I still consider that tome a gem.

`Think about three or four moments that you believe to be the most important during your time frame. Then think about what the leadership did about it. It doesn't have to be complicated. What happened, and what did the leaders do about it? That's your book."
 --David Halberstam tip to would-be writers of nonfiction. But could this apply to fiction as well?
Halberstam died in a car accident as well. While being driven by a student to a speaking engagement. Halbestam died, student lived. If there are more than one in the car, the one driving almost always lives.

You can multitask with a lot of things, but you can’t really multitask reading a book.
--Jonathan Franzen
Thinking of buying Freedom as an audiobook in audible or should I read it in printed form. 
I enjoyed Corrections, which was his last novel, published a decade ago. 

No comments: