Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Watching The Social Network

... is like witnessing the new generation of Woody Allen movies to me. This could be strange to some people, but this is the analogy of an all-talk-but-exciting-throughout movie.

And then Aaron Sorkin is becoming to me a writer to watch-out for. Read these dialogues:



and this: 


After watching the movie, best to search, download, and read the leaked screenplay itself.
Then further reading should be the profile of Zuckerberg in the New Yorker, which I think he cooperated with partly due to his anxiety on the movie almost entirely about him. 

I don't "do facebook" primarily because I do not want another time depleter while I have so many backlogs in books,  movies, then there are already blogs and podcasts that are part of my routine, responsibilities at home, demanding work and boss, etc. etc. But the movie makes me want to read about the organization more. In a few years, the company will become a staple of business cases and textbooks. It might be useful to get bombarded on the details this early. 

Going back to the movie: The Social Network did pull it through. Some are saying it is  a testament of the generation. But it just might be a very good exhibition of arrogance of people with high IQ's, which I don't support. You enjoy those scenes, but it's not the most desirable to witness in real life.  

Although I understand that it could be the nerd's way to get even, given that indeed the dont get invited to belong in social clubs and 'great parties' in general. So let them be. Dont strike up a conversation if you cant keep up. It's a form of turf respect. 

No comments: