Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Winner!

For posterity, Im writing that this brought some bright light to another dark hell week at work:


The challenge was to write a story given a background music. I entered the spur-of-the moment doodle that I also posted here two weeks ago (entitled simply as "Sequence," because I can’t really think of a title for that rambling).

Although I tried indeed to formulate a scene in a movie with the background music-- in short, the entry stuck strictly to the assignment--I was just counting on the promise of a consolation prize and an invitation to coffee or cocktails that Jessica has been assembling recently (in lieu of a bigger gathering that she’s been planning for some time now for blog followers). Ms. Jessica Zafra, the master herself, who I consider as one of the five best Pinoy writers alive, has been inviting for drinks a small group of constant participants to her “Litwit” challenges! (If it is not part of your morning reading yet, you should follow her blog). And the invitees can prepare 10 questions each, I believe to relieve the awkward silences.
Talampunay or me asking Jessica 10 questions over drinks, though nerve-wracking, should be a very welcome shake to our 9-to-7 lives. (630am to 10pm, if you include travel and prep time for that proverbial office grind).

Now, although there was no cocktails for this week, it was really a big, happy surprise to see turmukoy as the first prize winner of Litwit 3.8! And then the prize, a dense biography of Sartre and de Beauvoir. Wow!
Ive been hearing of their marriage-less, 'free' relationship more than ten years ago, since Soc Sci 1, and their existentialist justifications to their seductions and affairs. This arrangement must be a source of inspiration for all those landmark writings on existentialism. 
I am ready to put away whatever is currently bedside (American Pastoral by Roth) for this book. 

I was so thankful! Masaya at maganda ang buhay! J

No comments: